SAIT soccer begins season with losses

Men’s soccer

The SAIT Trojans men’s soccer season kicked off Sunday with a 1-0 loss to cross-city rivals the Mount Royal University Cougars.

The Trojans put up a solid effort in the first half and entered the dressing room at half-time locked up in a scoreless tie.

However, Mount Royal turned up the pressure in the second half and took control of the game.  After missing two wide-open nets and having a goal disallowed, the Cougars appeared like they were going to let this game slip away.

But in the 84th minute forward, MRU finally broke through when Caden Sawatzky finished off a pretty passing play to seal the victory for his team.

Despite the close score, coach Grant Stevens was less than impressed with his team’s overall play.

“It was a poor performance,” said Stevens. “We didn’t want it enough.  For the rookies who have never played at this level, it’s difficult for them to understand schemes of play.  It’s both a fitness and a technical issue.”

A major concern for the Trojans, thus far is, their offence.  They generated few scoring chances, especially in the second half when the game was on the line.

Realistically, the Trojans will need at least three or four more games until they can get comfortable playing together.

With only three players returning from last year, most of the team has never played together before. In the next coming weeks coach Grant Stevens has the difficult task of trying to get all these newcomers to buy into his system.

Women’s soccer

The SAIT Trojans women’s soccer team played a hard fought game in their opener against the MRU Cougars, but came up short and dropped the contest by a score of 3-1.

The Cougars looked strong and controlled the ball with ease.  They had the majority of the scoring chances, and if it weren’t for SAIT goalkeeper Toni Rebeiro-Jacobs the score would’ve been much more lopsided.

When the Trojans were pressing for the tying goal, Mount Royal counter-attacked and sealed the game with a breakaway goal to go up 3-1

Morgann Schnell excelled as one of the Trojans’ strongest players, as she converted a penalty kick in the second half to cut the score to 2-1. Schnell almost tied the game a few minutes later when her free kick glanced off the crossbar.

“I thought we started off a little slow,” said Schnell. “As the game got going we got more into it and really wanted it in the second half.”

There was no love lost between these two bitter rivals, as each loose ball was contested hard.  There were many hard tackles, which resulted in yellow cards for both sides.

“It’s really intense, especially knowing some of those girls,” said Schnell. “You get so into it, you give everything and you don’t want to stop.”

Previous post

Social media, federal election style

Next post

Park legally or pay the price